Sunday, July 6, 2014

Butter Pecan Ice Cream (S)

 
 
The best ice cream I have ever had was butter pecan.
 
A couple of summers ago, I was working for my grandparents at The Peach Barn in Holmes County, OH (far away from home).  It was hot and sticky, but I got to go driving around for the afternoon with my grandfather on business of some sort.  Our "business" led us to Walnut Creek Cheese, a huge "grocery store" of sorts in Walnut Creek, OH.  There my grandfather bought me an ice cream cone.
 
And let me tell you, this was an ice cream cone that spawns legends.
 
A huge waffle cone topped with homemade butter pecan ice cream.  The summer heat made it drip so fast that I could hardly catch up.  Up until that moment, I had scoffed at the idea of nuts in my ice cream.  But then I had that ice cream cone, and ever since, I have inherited my grandfather's love of butter pecan ice cream.  My love of ice cream really is hereditary.
 
I'll never forget the words of my grandfather regarding that ice cream cone: "It's an experience."
 
 
---
 
 
Fortunately, it's an experience that I can have at home as well.  Without damaging my waist-line.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Butter Pecan Ice Cream (S)
 
2 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. glucomannan
1 T softened/melted butter
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1/4 cup cream
3-4 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (Taste at 3 and add more if desired; remember that freezing will mask sweetness to some extent.  I like 3.5 doonks.)
2 tsp. vanilla
Pinch salt
2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 tsp. caramel flavoring
1/2 tsp. molasses (not technically part of the THM plan, but I personally don't mind using such a small amount)
Chopped or whole pecans
 
In a single-serving blender cup, blend the eggs, cottage cheese, glucomannan, butter, and enough of the almond milk to get it to blend well.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together the blended mixture, the rest of the almond milk, cream, sweetener, vanilla, salt, flavorings, and molasses.  Either refrigerate until ready to make the ice cream or go ahead and freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.  Add the pecans toward the end of the freezing time.  Serves 3-4 (makes approximately one pint of ice cream).
 
This is a quick and easy version of butter pecan ice cream.  It's a lot lighter than most ice creams out there, and I like it a lot, but feel free to experiment and substitute.  Here are some things you can do to make it even more of an "experience" (and someday I will probably post a more involved butter pecan recipe to try and do that cone justice):
 
Brown the nuts in the butter (or additional butter) to intensify the flavor.
Sub more cream for some of the almond milk (although that would make this a significantly heavier dessert).
Add protein powder if you wish to use this for a snack.
If you want to re-freeze leftover ice cream, a few drops of vegetable glycerin will help keep it soft.  Or you could just defrost it in the microwave.  Or just let it set out on the counter before you eat it.




 
 

 
 
 
To receive blog updates, like my Facebook page: Capall Equine Photography and Training.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great, but what is a "doonk" and what does the glucomannan do and could it be omitted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "doonk" is Trim Healthy Mama terminology for 1/32nd of a teaspoon. Quite a few pure stevia extract powders, including the one I linked to, come with a "doonk" spoon. The glucomannan is a natural thickening product derived from the konjac root, and in this ice cream it helps create a smooth consistency. You could substitute xanthum gum if that is more readily available to you. Of course, you could always omit it entirely, but the end result won't be quite as smooth.

      Delete