Saturday, July 12, 2014

Java Caramel Swirl Ice Cream (S)

 
 
I am not a picky eater.  You guys should know that by now from the stories of all the disgusting things I've eaten.  However, there is one thing I do not like and that thing is coffee.  Hot coffee is a waste of time, in my snarky opinion.  Give me my Oolong tea any day.
As a child, I didn't even like coffee flavored treats.  Iced coffee, frappes...even mocha ice cream!...were not high on my edible foods list if I ate them at all.  The older I get, the more coffee flavor I can enjoy, however.  And I know I have followers who love their coffee, so I've experimented with a few recipes (like this popular iced coffee recipe) for their sakes.  Feel special.  I've come to enjoy me some java flavor, though.  I really have.  And in ice cream, nearly anything is palatable (I'm opening a whole host of new ideas with that statement).
 
 
 
 
 
This particular ice cream recipe had the approval of two coffee snobs, so rest at ease.  Rarely do I rely solely on my own taste buds, which is probably a good thing.
In addition to the creamy coffee ice cream there is a caramel swirl.  Because plain coffee ice cream was just too mainstream.  If you're pressed for time, feel free to omit the caramel part, though.
 
 
 

Java Caramel Swirl Ice Cream (S)
 
1 farm fresh egg and 2 fresh egg yolks
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. glucomannan
2 T instant decaf coffee granules
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cold
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/8 tsp. salt
1 flat tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
 
Caramel Swirl:
2 T butter
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1 tsp. Truvia
 
Directions:
In a blender, blend the egg and egg yolks, cottage cheese, glucomannan, decaf coffee granules, cold brewed coffee, and enough almond milk to get it to blend up well.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together the blended mixture, the rest of the almond milk, cream, stevia, vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder.  Refrigerate mixture until ready to use or immediately freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Add the cream, vanilla, and Truvia and reduce until amber-colored and caramelized.  Stir often so it doesn't burn.  If the mixture separates, put it into a cold water bath and whisk.  Once the mixture has cooled down it will recombine.  Refrigerate the mixture to cool.
When the ice cream is churned, transfer to a freezer-safe container.  Using a fork, swirl the cooled caramel mixture through the ice cream.  The more you stir, the smaller pieces of caramel you will have.  If desired, freeze for an hour or so to firm up-or you could just eat it right away.  Serves 2-3.
 
Notes:
-this is a great way to use up egg yolks.  If you don't have any on hand and don't feel like separating any eggs, you could probably substitute 2 large or 3 small farm fresh eggs.  The more yolks, the creamier it will be.
-as always, feel free to use more cream instead of almond milk if you want a really rich ice cream.  The amounts listed here make a very satisfying ice cream to my taste without needless calories.
-the caramel would make a great topping for a cheesecake.  Or plain ice cream.  Or to eat by itself.  Just sayin'.  It will show up again very soon in a S'mores Pie recipe I will be putting up in the next week or so.
-coffee beans would add a neat crunch to this ice cream.  Add toward the end of the churning cycle.
 
 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 
To receive blog updates and other tidbits, like my Facebook page: Capall Equine Photography and Training.


4 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I don't have the THM sweetener yet I'm still using up my truvia. Can you give me a conversion measurement? I'm not good with "sweeten to taste" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the THM sweetener conversion chart; it should have the information you need. :) http://www.trimhealthymama.com/main-home/sweetener-conversion-chart/

      Delete
  2. Looking Yummy! I actually have all these ingredients. I just made the butter finger bars after sending the recipe to my cousin last week and having her give me a taste, I decided it was definitely one I needed to make. I have substituted the stevia for honey even though I know this now makes it non THM. I also love your little about me section 'how if you don't enjoy the journey you won't enjoy the destination'. I'm such a destination person I needed that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the kind comments. :) It's people like you that make blogging worthwhile.

      Delete